Re: Naming of new 2.0 release

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> When a minimum run (at a profitable price break) is 5000, and that leaves
> me holding 2500, when the next release occurs, my only choice is to not
> buy any. The other choice is to buy 2500, at twice the price and still
> make no profit. Neither of these options makes money, so if I'm smart (at
> you keep demanding) I will not distribute Debian.
>
> If we want $1.99 Debian CDs available to the masses, we will have to give
> the vendor the ability to vend.

If vendors were updating their CDs more often the CDs will be pressed
in batches of 1000. This will might increase the price to $4.

Will it hurt Debian in any way if Debian CDs would cost $4 ? IMHO
Debian shouldn't be bought because of price but because of its
advantages. One of them is that Debian is updated regularly.

So Debian doesn't have to care about $2 vendors as long as the $4
vendors survive. And even $20 isn't too much IMHO ...

IMHO the mass CD vendors should concentrate on Debian features and not
on the price when they are marketing Debian.

If CD vendors don't invest brain into their product they deserve to
fail.

The only thing Debian is to care about is that bad vendors shall not
destroy Debian's good reputation.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>