Re: more developer identity stuff

On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 12:44:23AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 23, 1998 at 08:49:40PM -0400, Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:
> > I also sent in my driver's licence
>
> Me too; sadly, nothing evil has happened to me yet. :-)
>
> Fortunately in Australia our driver's license number is not
> related to our social security number (a number whose
> Australian equivalent is confidential and an individual does not have
> to give it out at all if they want to).

Well suposedly here most of the time you don't HAVE to give out your SSN
of course...everyone wants it.

For a long time Driver's Licnece Numbers were the SSN...then they allowed you
to check off a little box on the Application to have a different number used.

Now that is the default and they don't use SSNs anymore...and this is because
ANYONE can request your info form the DMV because all of the info like
drivers licence number is public record...

if course with a SSN, adress and very little other data you can easily
impersonate someone. It has been said that in the US today there is NO truely
secure form of ID which can't be faked....sigh...what a world huh?
(of course thats barring fingerprint ID...but...not everyone has
their fingerprints on file either)

Of course once we are all required to wear those cybernetic implants with
serial number and electronic locator device...
that will solve that...and "make the world safe for our children"

(no I am not paranoid...what makes you ask? :) )

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"