Re: Can we do without non-free?

Hi,
>>"Joop" == Joop Stakenborg <stakenborg@HYPH.AZR.NL> writes:

 Joop> Section 1:Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software
 Joop> We promise to keep the Debian GNU/Linux Distribution entirely free
 Joop> software.
 Joop> The contradiction:
 Joop> We will support our users who develop and run non-free software on
 Joop> Debian.

	What's the contradiction? Debian is 100%free. Debian supports
 users who may want non-free software. Unless your contention is that
 Debian is the only source of any software, there seems to be no
 contradiction. If you think Debian is the only group in the universe
 creating software, write me and I'll point you to other folks who
 actually do write and sell (non-free) software.

 Joop> Section 4: Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software
 Joop> A line from this section:
 Joop> To support these goals, we will provide an integrated system of
 Joop> high-quality, 100% free software, with no legal restrictions that would
 Joop> prevent these kinds of use.
 Joop> My comment:
 Joop> What's the non-free section doing in our distribution then?

	Non free is not part of Debian. Nither is contrib.

 Joop> It is time to drop non-free. Debian has so many packages now,
 Joop> there must be a counterpart of a non-free package in the main
 Joop> distribution. If we can drop non-free this means we can really
 Joop> distribute free software and put all our effort into the main
 Joop> distribution

	unterparts are not good enough. Part of freedom is freedom of
 choice, too, and our users are free to use whatever they wish. Sice
 we like our users, we tend to support them, even though we prefer
 free alternatives.

	Freedom. That's what Debian is all about.

	manoj
--
 Do not count your chickens before they are hatched. Aesop