Re: Poor Man's XT doc (pre-releace)

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 03:29:14PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> >>The X protocol does Audio.  For floppy disks you need to have some sort of
> >>setup for mounting them.  Maybe NBD would help for this...
> >
> >NBD?
>
> Network Block Device.  It's a new feature in 2.1 kernels that allows you to
> mount a block device from another machine over a network (you need the nbd
> daemon for the server machine though - IE the machine with the floppy drive).

yes yes yes yes yes!
This sounds exactly like what I was wishing for :)
now I just need NCD (hmm ok that name is taken I guess) to use charicter
devices over the network

tho I supose NAS is good enough (reading its docs now)

> NBD will not solve the authentication problems by itself.  Anyway the kernels
> I've been giving you have NBD compiled in.  Have a play with it.
>
> >IMHO, use of diskettes is going to make things awkward for and X-Terminal,
> >because access needs to be authenticated... Maybe this is where NDB
> >fits it (what is NBD), however I tend to avoid using floppy disks
> >whenever possible (they always seen to be too unreliable).
>
> True.

hmmm...well in another post I mentioned how I would do the nfs system...
but still anyone on the same host as the person using the xterminal could
mount the floppy...

> I deleted it from my system yesterday.  It hasn't come back...

hmm I bet I have one somewhere

-STeve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"