Re: Poor Man's XT doc (pre-releace)

>>The X protocol does Audio.  For floppy disks you need to have some sort of
>>setup for mounting them.  Maybe NBD would help for this...
>
>NBD?

Network Block Device.  It's a new feature in 2.1 kernels that allows you to
mount a block device from another machine over a network (you need the nbd
daemon for the server machine though - IE the machine with the floppy drive).

NBD will not solve the authentication problems by itself.  Anyway the kernels
I've been giving you have NBD compiled in.  Have a play with it.

>IMHO, use of diskettes is going to make things awkward for and X-Terminal,
>because access needs to be authenticated... Maybe this is where NDB
>fits it (what is NBD), however I tend to avoid using floppy disks
>whenever possible (they always seen to be too unreliable).

True.

>>>/etc requires write access in order to allow local-logins (I think),

>>>as libc6 creates a file called /etc/.pwd.lock (YUCK!). (I am not

>>>absolutely certain that this is still the case, however I did see

>>>a bug reported against libc6 that this file is never deleted).

>>On my system /etc/.pwd.lock is dated the 11th of July.  I guess it doesn't
>>need to be writable.
>
>I suspect that .pwd.lock has been removed in latest versions of libc6,
>(I doubt there ever was any need for it), but
>you would need to delete it and see if it is re-created...
>
>I remember sometime ago that somebody filed a bug report against
>the package that contains /bin/login, saying it didn't allow logins
>when /etc was mounted read-only, and the response was that /etc cannot
>be mounted ro because libc6 required /etc/.pwd.lock (or something
>similar).

I deleted it from my system yesterday.  It hasn't come back...

--
This is what they pay me for.