Re: Poor Man's XT doc (pre-releace)

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 01:15:37PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:

> >> an example of a program that supports this.  Someone else sent me an email
> >> suggesting the use of NAS for this, NAS is another solution to this problem.
> >
> >hmm I have heard of NAS....dunno much about it tho. Know where info could
> >be found?
>
> Probably the "nas" Debian package would be the best place to start...

damnit....why does debian have to be so god damned easy?
I was half hopeing I would have to download it as source and
find out it wont compile and have to laborously install it...sigh...

> >> definately don't want running accross the network).  Maybe the real solution
> >> is to allow running Quake etc locally?
> >
> >Well...
> >This is an XTerminal...not really meant as a "Game Machine" but...
> >if the XTerminal is on a fairly nice machine...and the network isn't
> >too saturated... you could probably play Quake on it ;)
>
> No.  Quake will saturate a PCI bus.  I wouldn't expect switched 100baseT
> to handle the load.

It will...I never noticed :)

> >There needs to be some way to play sound...hmm...
> >I have been thinking I will need to write some sort of "Control System"
> >for the XTerminals...
> >basically providing a way for the sys admin to comunicate with them outside
> >the X protocols (say for remote rebooting 1 or even a whole lab of them
> >to load a new configuration..or to shutdown at night)
>
> Install ssh on all machines.  Use ~root/.ssh/.shosts allowing an
> administrator account on the server to login as root without a password.
> Then you can have cron jobs that login to the X terms as root and do various
> things.  I've set this all up before, it's quite doable.  I'll send you
> config files from live machines if you want them...

That does sound like a great idea... It should also have some mechanism
for keeping a database of how many XTerminals are currently "up"
and what their adresses are....I would like to be able to (via a
custom script or program....id like an X interface ;) ) be able
to broadcast a command to all of them...sort of in the form

xterminals broadcast "shutdown -r now"

or xterminals dumbass "shutdown -r now"
(right now thats the only command I can think of)

ssh would also be usefull if I wanted to set up pvm on them ;)

> >maybe part of this system could be something that manages nfs mounts etc
> >to load local floppies and cdroms for the XTerminals
> >audio woul dbe more of a challenge.....
>
> Floppies may be a challenge.  What we'd like to do is mount the floppy from
> the X term under the home directory of the user on the server when they
> login.  This means mounting the floppy (could do it by "fdmountd -d") and
> then NFS exporting it to the server.
>
> Now getting the server to automatically mount an NFS share with nosuid and
> nodev flags when the user logs in shouldn't be that difficult to do.  The
> hard part will be making sure that only the right user can mount the floppy.

Actually...I had thought maybe each xterm already has /floppy (as virtue
of being from the debian base system)...
If there was a command that would allow them to put in a request to the
host...which would then automatically ssh in to the xterminal and mount the
floppy (or unmount it) then half the work is done right there

hmm maybe have the xterminals have just a sym link in /etc for exports
linkin gback to /tmp (since it is the ONLY thing writable) and as part
of the xdm login process it could ssh in to the xterminal...
write the proper exports (simple export /floppy back to the same server
that is running)

then on the host machine just mount that nfs mount in the users ~/floppy
(if they have one...) maybe add logic to the flioppy mount script
to check fo rthe existance of ~/floppy and make/mount it on the
fly
-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"