Re: Poor Man's XT doc (pre-releace)

>> >   The X protocol does Audio.
>> >
>> >It does?  Can you give an example of a program that uses this?
>>
>> I recall that one of the recent X releases had a feature called "Broadway"
>> which did audio as well as the usual video/mouse/keyboard.  I do not know of
>> an example of a program that supports this.  Someone else sent me an email
>> suggesting the use of NAS for this, NAS is another solution to this problem.
>
>hmm I have heard of NAS....dunno much about it tho. Know where info could
>be found?

Probably the "nas" Debian package would be the best place to start...

>> It's just occurred to me that there aren't that many X programs that use
>> sound, many of them fall into the category of games such as Quake (which you
>> definately don't want running accross the network).  Maybe the real solution
>> is to allow running Quake etc locally?
>
>Well...
>This is an XTerminal...not really meant as a "Game Machine" but...
>if the XTerminal is on a fairly nice machine...and the network isn't
>too saturated... you could probably play Quake on it ;)

No.  Quake will saturate a PCI bus.  I wouldn't expect switched 100baseT
to handle the load.

>There needs to be some way to play sound...hmm...
>I have been thinking I will need to write some sort of "Control System"
>for the XTerminals...
>basically providing a way for the sys admin to comunicate with them outside
>the X protocols (say for remote rebooting 1 or even a whole lab of them
>to load a new configuration..or to shutdown at night)

Install ssh on all machines.  Use ~root/.ssh/.shosts allowing an
administrator account on the server to login as root without a password.
Then you can have cron jobs that login to the X terms as root and do various
things.  I've set this all up before, it's quite doable.  I'll send you
config files from live machines if you want them...

>maybe part of this system could be something that manages nfs mounts etc
>to load local floppies and cdroms for the XTerminals
>audio woul dbe more of a challenge.....

Floppies may be a challenge.  What we'd like to do is mount the floppy from
the X term under the home directory of the user on the server when they
login.  This means mounting the floppy (could do it by "fdmountd -d") and
then NFS exporting it to the server.

Now getting the server to automatically mount an NFS share with nosuid and
nodev flags when the user logs in shouldn't be that difficult to do.  The
hard part will be making sure that only the right user can mount the floppy.

--
This is what they pay me for.