Re: Can we do without non-free?

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 12:56:55AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Those who don't want to work on non-free are welcome not to. There are
> packages in non-free that have no counterpart in main.

Non-frees that I can live without:
	xanim			freefont

Non-frees that I cannot live without at this time:
	libmagick4g-lzw[1]	navigator4-smotif
	netscape4-base		netscape4-java
	pgp-us			ssh

Non-frees that I choose to have installed though I don't -NEED- them:
	distributed-net		amp
	mikmod[2]		mpg123
	rar[3]

[1] I consider imagemagick crippled without GIF support and have made
extensive use of this new toy the past week or so..  Within 20 min of
playing I decided to forever purge xv which is very very non-free.  only
thing that makes imagemagick non-free is the optional LZW library which I
personally want to keep.

[2] This is actually free in 3.x, though Debian has only 2.14, I have a 3.x
copy I use locally as often as I use the old 2.14 version.  Still waiting on
the maintainer to package the free version which was AFAIK out in time for
hamm if I had known about it..  =p

[3] rar is not so much an issue other than that in my OS/2 days it was the
best archiver I had and a few of my CDRs which I haven't replaced have rar
archives.  I may see about replacing this non-free package with the "unrar"
program which is all I need.

Can debian do without non-free?  Not yet.  ssh and pgp are too important,
even though they're in non-us.  Can users do without non-free?  Probably
not.  All of the multimedia apps are crippled in that some dumbasses thinks
patents on file formats or mathematical formulae are reasonable.

(apology for the language, but I really think it seems fitting, all
considered.)