Re: Can we do without non-free?

Joop Stakenborg <stakenborg@HYPH.AZR.NL> writes:

> > Those who don't want to work on non-free are welcome not to. There are
> > packages in non-free that have no counterpart in main.

> Here is my point: we want to distribute FREE software. Why do we need to have
> a non-free section? What packages from non-free do we really need?

There are people who are using Debian for this and that. Some of them
might use it for completely insane things, ond others are doing things
that can't be done without non-free software.

That's why we have the non-free section on the Debian FTP server:
Whenever someone sees a need to package and maintain non-free software
(and the software's licenses allows to place it on a public FTP
server) he simply does it.

It isn't Debian's job to decide whether we need the software. If there
is someone who needs it and he puts his time into packaging and
maintaining the software Debian will distribute the resulting
packages.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>