Re: plant for the greenhouse

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > My company has a GPL Gnome program we are getting ready to release a first
> > alpha of, and our connectivity is inadequate to host a mailing list.
>
> I thought the gnome.org lists are hosted at redhat.com?

gnome.org aka redhat.com offered web/ftp space but told me they would
rather not host the list.  However, now it looks like they might change
their mind, so I may not need to ask SPI/Debian for one. I'll write back
if the gnome.org list falls through again. (since their servers are less
loaded than va and this is a Gnome app I think it would be preferable to
host there, if possible.)

> The debian-devel list has been an appropriate place for such things in
> the past.  Another one would be to write a request to spi-board@debian.org
> describing your project and the request?

I'll describe it anyway, just for PR. :-) I work for a futures trading
company. We do analyses of price trends and other such things which
involves statistics, charts, and plots of various kinds. We use Linux
almost exclusively.

We're writing a data analysis/plot/chart program which is meant to be
easy-to-use, simple, and GUI-based. It's written in C++ with the
Gtk--/Gnome-- libraries. We have a good start on the project but it's
still just a prototype. Since we don't have enough people to write a
really nice application on our own and we've benefitted so much from free
software in the past, we are planning to GPL this application and open the
project up.

There should be a 0.0.1 release in the next few days, if all goes well.
This is the first release so we're scrambling to find somewhere to put it.
:-)

Anyway, sorry to bother the list if it turns out that gnome.org can handle
it.

Thanks,
Havoc