pwd; docs, builtins and exec

Reading the info page on pwd says that the command responds to --help and
--version options. When executed on a Debian system in a bash shell, the
builtin command refuses to accept either option. It also suggests the
options -PL which, although accepted, seem to cause no change in the
output.

If I 'exec pwd --version' it prints:

pwd (GNU sh-utils) 1.16

and promptly logs me out. (I assume from the "exit" it does?)

First, there is either a bug in the manpage (although it does suggest that
shell programs provide this function in a builtin) for suggesting that the
-- options work, or there is a bug in bash for not accepting the options.

Interestingly enough, if you try this with ash, the command works as
normal pwd even when you pass it the options --version, or --help. That is
these options are totally ignored in ash.

These seem to be GNU issues more than POSIX, although there are answers
from either camp I suppose.

Anyone have any idea of the proper point of view here?

Waiting is,

Dwarf