Re: Shadow password policy

On 18 Aug 1998, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

> Chris <chris@ormond.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
>
> > I am packaging a program that uses directly accesses the password file.
> > It has a compile time option to determine if it should be using shadow
> > passwords or not.
>
> The policy says quite clearly (I think, I just got it banged in my head :) that
> any package MAY NOT modify other packages files. /etc/{passwd,group,shadow,gshadow}
> is owned by the 'shadow' package, so only programs in that package may change
> the user database.

<snip>

Well actually, the program doesn't modify the files, it just reads the
passwd files using getpwname and getspnam....does this still count??
However....maybe I better read the pages....but since I'm not a developer
yet I haven't gone over it in too much detail.

Anyway, if I shouldn't access these files, what is the best way to read
and possibly change password information??

Chris

Reply with subject 'key' for PGP public key.  KeyID A9E087D5