Re: Shadow password policy

Chris <chris@ormond.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> I am packaging a program that uses directly accesses the password file.
> It has a compile time option to determine if it should be using shadow
> passwords or not.

The policy says quite clearly (I think, I just got it banged in my head :) that
any package MAY NOT modify other packages files. /etc/{passwd,group,shadow,gshadow}
is owned by the 'shadow' package, so only programs in that package may change
the user database.

That said, use 'useradd' and 'groupadd' to create users and group. You may NOT
modify the files yourself (or your program).

I did that with xAdmin, I did not know about this policy issue (or had forgot
all about it), and was forcefully reminded about it...

> My question is:  Can I produce a package that only supports shadow
> passwords, or will I need to modify the code to autodetect if shadow
> passwords are on or not.

[read above. NO]

PS. This should not be read as a flame or a hars reply, just as a information
    to you (and to my self) that reading the Policy pages is a good thing...
    *blush* :)

 Turbo     __ _     Debian GNU     Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just
 ^^^^^    / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __  selective about who its friends are
         / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /          papadoc.nocrew.org
  _ /// / /__| | | | | |_| |>  <  Turbo Fredriksson    turbo@tripnet.se
  \\\/  \____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\ Surrey/B.C./Canada      (604)572-3523
Debian Certified Linux Developer  PGP#788CD1A9   www5.tripnet.se/~turbo
------- PGP:  B7 92 93 0E 06 94 D6 22  98 1F 0B 5B FE 33 A1 0B --------
--
CIA arrangements cracking Uzi assassination NORAD spy FBI Nazi Legion
of Doom Kennedy strategic Clinton plutonium BATF