Re: [Q] Packaging issues with shareware

Raul Miller wrote:
> Sudhakar Chandrasekharan <thaths@netscape.com> wrote:
> > 1. The upstream developer says "I realize that most people won't pay.
> > That's not a problem for me. If I had to do it all over, I would
> > probably have kept it as freeware but I would feel bad changing back
> > to freeware at this point since the people that sent me money might
> > feel ripped off."
>
> Implying that it's not usual for a software producer to drop prices?
>
> You might suggest to the author that the license be made free, and
> that shareware customers are entitled to some level of support.

That is a good idea.  I will do so.

> > 3. Linklint, currently, does not come with a copyright notice. However
> > it coms with ordering information. Could the ordering information
> > substitute for the copyright?
> No, because that doesn't give us the right to distribute it.  The
> statement by the author that it's shareware, and that the author
> doesn't expect most people to pay for it might be considered a license,
> but it would be better for the author to supply distribution terms.

The upstream author is open to suggestions.  Is there a sample license
that the author could base his license on?

Thaths
--
"Marge, don't discourage the boy! Weaseling out of things is important
to learn. It's what separates us from the animals!  Except the weasel."