Re: All of uu.net about to be banned.

Igor Grobman <igor@igoria.net> writes:

> I think this is a good idea.  IMHO, the best way to implement it would be to
> only relay if there is some string in the header or in the body of the
> message that will only be known to debian-private subscribers.  How hard is
> this to do with qmail?   I suspect it's not trivial, but I'll look into it and
> see what I can come up with.

Not to start a religous war, but I *think* that exim can do this
pretty easily.

Though I suppose that converting to exim might be more of an effort
than you were planning right now :>   I do think that in the long run,
it would be nice if Debian used exim rather than qmail.  I'd also like
to see us switch to exim from smail for the default MTA unless there's
a really good reason not to (and I don't think bang paths qualify for
the average user).

Anyway, I'm not an exim guru, but I think you can get the effect you
want by setting up a relay transport whose input is filtered with a
router that has a rule something like:

   condition $header_X-Debian-developer-sending-message:

I've never done this, but assuming I understand the info pages, this
router will refuse to call its driver (the relay transport) anytime
the current message doesn't have an X-Debian-developer-sending-message:
header.

  condition (director or router) *option*
  ---------------------------------------

  Option: condition
  Type: string
  Default: unset

  This option specifies a test that has to succeed for the driver to be
  called.  The string is expanded, and if the result is a forced failure
  or an empty string or one of the strings `0' or `no' or `false'
  (checked without regard to the case of the letters), the driver is not
  run. This provides a means of applying special-purpose conditions to
  the running of directors and routers.  The `$home' variable is
  available in the expansion for directors that set it up. If the
  expansion fails, it causes Exim to panic. Some of the other options
  below are common special cases that could in fact be specified using
  `condition'.