Re: blitz license revised.

John Lapeyre writes:
> And , the Artistic License says,

> 5. You may charge a reasonable copying fee for any distribution of
> this Package.  You may charge any fee you choose for support of this
> Package.  You may not charge a fee for this Package itself.  However, you
> may distribute this Package in aggregate with other (possibly commercial)
> programs as part of a larger (possibly commercial) software distribution
> provided that you do not advertise this Package as a product of your own.

Thus Cheap Bytes is free to charge any price they wish for a Debian CD
containing AL software, , since it is part of a larger software
distribution.  The blitz license, on the other hand, says:

> 2. The Standard Version of the Library may be distributed as part
> of a collection of software, provided no more than a reasonable
> copying fee is charged for the software collection.

Put blitz in main and Cheap Bytes must not charge more than a "reasonable
copying fee" (whatever that is) for Debian CD's.

The Artistic License also says:

        "Reasonable copying fee" is whatever you can justify on the
        basis of media cost, duplication charges, time of people involved,
        and so on.  (You will not be required to justify it to the
        Copyright Holder, but only to the computing community at large
        as a market that must bear the fee.)

Thus the "reasonable copying fee" clause in the AL is really just a request
that you not charge too much, not a legal requirement.

BTW, I do not consider the AL to be an example of a well written license.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)