Re: blitz license revised.

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Philip Hands wrote:

phil>>  2. The Standard Version of the Library may be distributed as part
phil>>  of a collection of software, provided no more than a reasonable
phil>>  copying fee is charged for the software collection.
phil>
phil>Surely this is against clause 1 of the DFSG since it restricts for-profit
phil>selling of the distribution.  Including this in main meant that I cannot sell
phil>a Debian CD for 1000.00 UKP (not that I've found anyone stupid enough to buy
phil>it at that price yet, but one lives in hope ;-)

	Well you may be kind of correct.  However the DFSG also says

   10.Example Licenses

       The "GPL", "BSD", and "Artistic" licenses are examples of licenses
    that we consider "free".

    And , the Artistic License says,

	5. You may charge a reasonable copying fee for any distribution of
this Package.  You may charge any fee you choose for support of this
Package.  You may not charge a fee for this Package itself.  However, you
may distribute this Package in aggregate with other (possibly commercial)
programs as part of a larger (possibly commercial) software distribution
provided that you do not advertise this Package as a product of your own.

	And note that , perl notwithstanding, the DFSG does not say, "We
consider the GPL, BSD, and licenses which allow distribution under the
Artistic or GPL , to be 'free'  "

John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>