Re: Copyright from the lcs-projekt!? [dwarf@polaris.net: Re: First cut at testing and validation]

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
> > None of you even bothered to look at the code that the copyright covers,
> > did you?
>
> Where is this code?  I've seen no announcements as to its availability.

The complete code was posted on the public list, lcs-eng@lists.debian.org.
I include it again hear in the spirit of communication. This is not
presented as a finished work, but was intended to protray the level of
modularity and the types of issues that the preliminary standard is trying
to address. My expectation was to get a lot more questions about what was
being tested than about whether the copyright is free enough for Debian.

#!/bin/sh
# Program: validate
#
# Copyright 1998 Dale Scheetz all rights reserved
#
# This program and all its ancillary components may be copied and used
# freely by anyone with only the following restriction. Modification of
# this software, and its components is strictly forbidden.
#
# Although this material is expected to be used in the Free Software
# community, where such modification is routinely allowed, such practice
# can not be allowed when standards verification is the intention.
#
# The following tests are divided into five parts.
#
#   1. Library location and so name verification
#   2. Package manager wrapper function verification
#   3. Standard program location and naming convention verification
#   4. Standard config file location and naming convetion verification
#   5. Library functionality verification
#
SUCCESS=TRUE
# Check library so names and locations

while read name
do
  if ! [ -L $name ]
  then
    SUCCESS=FALSE
    echo "Failed to find $name"
  fi
done < lcs-sonames

# Check for package wrapper functions

while read name
do
  if ! [ -x $name ]
  then
    SUCCESS=FALSE
    echo "Failed to find $name"
  fi
done < lcs-pkgnames

# Check standard program names and locations

while read name
do
  if ! [ -x $name ]
  then
    SUCCESS=FALSE
    echo "Failed to find $name"
  fi
done < lcs-pgmnames

# Check standard config file names and locations

while read name
do
  if ! [ -e $name ]
  then
    SUCCESS=FALSE
    echo "Failed to find $name"
  fi
done < lcs-cnfnames

# Test library functionality

if [ -x ./lcs-libtest ]
then
  ./lcs-libtest
  if ! [ ? == 0 ]
  then
    SUCCESS=FALSE
  fi
fi

# Declare test a success or failure

if [ "$SUCCESS" == "TRUE" ]
then
   echo This system is LCS compliant. Congratulations!
else
   echo This system is not LCS compliant. See error messages above.
fi