Re: Is NPL DFSG complient or not?

-----Original Message-----

>If the NPL is DFSG complient, which I think it is according to my memories,
>it should be listed in the DFSG/SC.
>
>If the NPL is not DFSG complient, I believe, we should state why we
>don't consider it as DFSG complient.
>
>In either case, could the web-master team put this on their todo list
>please?
>
>Regards,
>
> Joey

I think it DFSG complient.

>From http://www.mozilla.org/NPL/

"In drafting this license, we attempted to balance the needs of several
different constituencies: the free software development community,
commercial programmers, and Netscape itself. Our intent with this license is
to promote a Communicator development community on the Net and to release
the source code under a license that supports this community, yet still
allows Netscape to meet its business goals going forward. We believe this
license satisfies the Debian Free Software Guidelines, which provide a
commonly accepted definition of ``free
software,........"^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>From http://www.debian.org/news#19980306b

"6 Mar 1998: Netscape turns to Debian for Licensing Guidance!
When Netscape decided to make their client software free, they used the
Debian Free Software Guidelines for a guide on how to write their license.
You can find the draft Netscape license at http://www.mozilla.org/NPL/. This
is a historic day for us, since it means that Netscape will eventually be in
the "main" part of Debian and all Linux systems, not the "non-free" section
any longer! ............."

Adrián De León
al670154@mail.ur.mx