Re: "goals" for slink: FHS

On Tue, Aug 11, 1998 at 05:07:13PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
> >>"Brian" == Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com> writes:
>
>  Brian> Opinions are never incorrect.  That's why they are "opinions".
>
> 	On the contrary, opinions are frequently wrong. People in two
>  states in the US were convinced in the last cventury that Pi was
>  exactly 3.14, and nearly passd laws to the effect. They were wrong.
>
> 	However, your opinion is your own, and only you can modify
>  it (it makes your opinions no less wrong in the meanwhile).

So if I say the sum of the angles in a triangle is bigger than Pi, I'm
wrong? Maybe you're just using the wrong geometry, try the sphere geometry
instead.

And if I say that Pi is half the perimeter of the circle with the radian
one, and I say half the perimeter is 2, am I wrong? Maybe you're just using
the wrong metric. Try the maximum metric instead.

I know the (or a different?) proposal for the law. There are actually
five values for Pi following from that: 10/7, 9.24, 3.236, 3.232, 1.429 and 3.2.
They tried to gave an algorithm to square the circle in the euclidian
metric. Althugh the proof is completely bogus, I could still provide you
with metrics where pi has any of the above values. Just there reasoning was
wrong :)

I think that is so far off topic now, that it doesn't matter at all which
value Pi really has...

(BTW: 40 percent of german people believe that the sun is moving around the
earth. Since Einstein, you can't really say they are wrong: They just
choose different coordinates).

Marcus