Re: Adaptec SCSI problem with hamm install

"Thomas \"Recent-Mutt-Convert\" Vaughan" <vaughan@phyast.nhn.ou.edu> writes:

   After hearing me rave about my wonderful experiences with Debian, a friend
   of mine asked me to help him install Debian on his machine at work.
   He has been using Slackware, and has noticed that although the 2.0.33
   kernel works well for him, the 2.0.3[45] kernels fail to boot because
   of a problem with the Adaptec driver.  I seem to recall that the hamm
   rescue disk at one time used the 2.0.33 kernel, and so I tried to find
   an older version of the install disks.  Alas, no such luck.

   Does anyone have an idea about how I might install Debian on his machine?

The problem with aic7xxx SCSI drivers is that they don't work with
every setup.  This may change with the newer drivers now that Adaptec
has released adapter specs.

For now your best bet is to find a kernel that does work with his
card, then to put it on a rescue floppy.  You could also try the 5.1.x
series of aic7xxx drivers at <URL:ftp://ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx/>.