Re: Debian is secure, the debian lists are not.

I'd just like to say to Santiago and others that are trying to create
more work for the listmasters: STOP IT.  You have no idea how much
work it is to run lists.

I host 50 lists at complete.org, but none of them are even close to
the subscribership of debian-user and debian-devel, and the volume is
less than those as well.  Nonetheless, I am still innundated with
people that cannot remember how to unsubscribe (deleted their
directions!), can't get unsubscribed because they originally
subscribed as user@mail.msn.com and are trying to unsubscribe as
user@msn.com, can't figure out how to switch to/from the digest
version, can't figure out why their Windows mail program can't deal
with standard digests in a sane way, or want to know how much it costs
to post to a list (really, I've seen them all).  I've also seen people
writing to majordomo@complete.org saying "Hello, Majordomo, please
take me off the list" (my system archives mail sent to majordomo) and
then they send nastygrams to me when Majordomo doesn't take them off
"the" list.

And I'm sure that the Debian listmasters have to deal with a lot more
since there is a larger subscriber base and higher traffic here.

It is for this reason that I do not use cookies at complete.org --
there are people that would simply be unable to get themselves
unsubscribed and it could easily double or triple my workload.

Imagine what this could do to the debian.org maintainers.  It would
make life VERY unpleasant for them.

Please think of other people before you make rash remarks.

I agree with everything Hanno and Joey are saying here.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |