Re: FHS: a new way of looking at it

    Ben> Once slink is released as stable, we will have a base
    Ben> distribution that will support both FSSTND docs *and* FHS
    Ben> docs. Then, our next distribution (2.2? 3.0?) will be moved
    Ben> fully to FHS.

    Manoj> I like this, but there are two things to consider. Firstly,
    Manoj> we want to allow people to be able to skip releases and
    Manoj> upgrade from bo-> slink directly, or from Hamm to the
    Manoj> succesor of Slink without actually loading slink, so this
    Manoj> solotion, though better than the previous solutions, is not
    Manoj> perfect ;-(

Perhaps a combination of this idea and the 'fhs' package that provides
temporary relief from FSSTND iching and burning would work?

    Manoj> 	Secondly, if the time period seems too long, we can
    Manoj> put the modified document readers in 2.0 r2 -- and start
    Manoj> the move to FHS in Slink.

    Manoj> 	The major document readers (man, and info) already
    Manoj> support the concept of multiple directories, so all that is
    Manoj> needed is a tweak in the configuration files. As such,
    Manoj> since the programs are not erally changing, it would be
    Manoj> easier to get the modified packages in Hamm-updates and
    Manoj> eventually to 2.0 r2.

I think a good place to start is to file wishlist-severity bugs on man
and info to get them configured to also support /usr/share/man/ et al.

Should we do this? Or are the man/info maintainers listening?

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters J and P and the number 10.
"Son, I am able," she said, "though you scare me." -- They Might Be Giants