A proposal to revive the Policy document

Hi,
	As people have doubtless been aware, we are currently without a
 policy editor, and the policy document has consequently been
 languishing. I want to break us away from a moribund policy document,
 and try to come up with a scheme of doing so that would be less
 fragile than the previous process, and less fraught to the
 possibility of concentration of power than having a single policy
 editor totally in charge of the process.

	I propose we select/install a group of people who have access
 to the CVS policy document; however, this set of people behave more
 like maintainers rather than authors/editors. The group that decides
 on policy should be the group of developers on the Debian-policy
 mailing lists, which is how it was always done; so the group of
 policy maintainers have no real power over policy. Since they would
 have access to the CVS repository I guess it is desirable that the
 people so appointed be ``mature'', however that is determined.

	The way I see it, we need to resolve the following protocol
 issues:

  a) proposing amendments to policy. Unlike before, when the policy
     editor gathered in issues which, in his view, were candidates for
     inclusion in policy, I propose that issues are brought up in the
     policy group, and, if the initial discussion warrants it, any
     developer, with at least two(?) seconds can formally propose as a
     policy amendment.

	Periodically, (weekly?) one of the policy maintainers can
      post a summary of current policy topics to Debian-devel, to keep
      the general populace apprised of possible changes. The list of
      policy topics can be posted on the web as well.

	An interesting proposal is to have each formal proposal be a
      wish-list bug against policy; and we use the bug tracking system
      for tracking amendments; and it is already on the web.

        I think that the severity wish-list should be used, in this
        case, as normal and higher should be left for real problems
        in the package, amendment proposals are not really bugs, but
        enhancement requests. One can use retitle to keep track of the
        proposal (proposed  -- voting -- accepted)

  b) Getting away from the Debating society aspect. At the time of
     proposal, a deadline can be set )by the proposer?) for ending
     discussion on the issue, which should rarely be less than 10
     days, and typically two weeks or so. I hope that a hard minimum
     period need not be set, and that the proposers would be
     reasonable, and not set too short or too long a time for
     discussion.

	If a consensus is reached on the issue, well and good; the
      policy maintainers can enter the changes into the policy manual
      and inform Debian-devel as well.

   c) deadlock resolution

	If a consensus is not reached, (or if someone submits a formal
      objection to the proposal) and the end of the discussion period
      is near, then one is faced with a dilemma. If the issue is a
      technical one, then the technical committee may be
      consulted. This should be a rare occurrence, since technical
      issue are generally solved with a consensus.

	However, if the issue is non-technical and subjective, then a
      vote of the developers may be taken (USENET voting software
      should be available all over the place, right?); and a
      super-majority of 75% (80%?) is needed to carry the amendment
      through. Failing the super-majority, the issue should be
      shelved, if re-submitted as a a fresh proposal. (Close bug, if
      the BTS is being used)

	I think that since the policy maintainers have no special
 powers, there is no need to restrict their participation in the
 discussion. We do need to have at least 4-5 people on the job, so
 that policy does not languish when any maintainer goes missing (we do
 need vacations, you know, once in a while), and since little creative
 power is vested in the maintainers, we do not need a central
 control. And the archives of the list can be used as a record of the
 action decided upon even if all maintainers are away at some time.

	I think Phil Hands has already volunteered for policy
 maintainer, and I hereby do so as well. We just need to
 con^H^H^H^convince a couple of other volunteers, and we are all set.

	manoj
 who apologizes to all Iowans
--
 Three Midwesterners, a Kansan, a Missourian and an Iowan, all
 appearing on a quiz program, were asked to complete this sentence: