Re: AFM font metrics location?

On Sun, Aug 02, 1998 at 11:46:24AM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> I wonder if we can get these programs to agree on a common layout.  It
> would certainly make it easier to use new fonts in all of them!

The ad-hoc directory structure I'm currently using in GGlyph for the
user's personal fonts is:

~/Fonts/type1 - .pfa and .pfb files
~/Fonts/afm - .afm files
~/Fonts/tfm - .tfm files

TeX has a fairly well-organized directory structure for fonts, somewhat
like the above, except in /usr/lib/texmf/fonts  (I'm going to change
'Fonts' to 'fonts' in the next GGlyph so you can add $HOME to the TeX
search path and hopefully have them show up automatically)

Perhaps we could replicate something like it in /usr/share.  It would
involve some modifications to a bunch of packages, but the current
situation is a real mess anyway...  Just off the top of my head, it
might look like:

/usr/share/fonts/{afm, tfm, vf, mf, pk, bitmap, type1, truetype}

and, along the lines of how TeX works now, packages would create their
own subdirectories within these top-level dirs for their specific fonts.
So, for example, gsfonts would install in /usr/share/fonts/type1/ghostscript
and /usr/share/fonts/afm/ghostscript, xfntscl would either install in
/usr/share/fonts/speedo/X11 and /usr/share/fonts/type1/X11 or create
symlinks, and then run something like type1afm to generate AFM files in
/usr/share/fonts/afm/X11 if they aren't already there, and so on...

There might be endianness problems with bitmaps, though.  (these would
generally be things that would go in /var/cache/fonts anyway, or would
be specific to X11...)

This isn't a real proposal or anything, just an idea I'm tossing out.

> They appear to be free.  Adobe's downloadables license on the web
> appears to allow redistribution & modification, although the license
> inside the files themselves says ``All Rights Reserved.''  Maybe we
> should talk to Adobe about this?

You can also generate AFM files from .pfa/.pfb files by scaling them to
1000 points and getting the BBox for each glyph.  There are at least two
programs that can do this in our distribution already.

          David Huggins-Daines - bn711@freenet.carleton.ca
           PGP public key #63A8B719 on public key servers
    fingerprint=4F 38 A2 34 E1 E0 B7 6E  C3 DA 6C E3 C6 6A 05 62
                         XP -> XP X' -> X XP