AFM font metrics location?

I'm working on a program that will use AFM font metrics to lay out
text on pages.  So, obviously I need a directory to get them from.
Assuming that there was a standard location for these things, I did a
grep of the Contents-i386 file and found essentially identical
collections of AFM files in the following locations:

So, apparently our current policy is that any package that needs AFMs
should make a new directory and stick 'em in there :-)  Potentially,
you end up with five sets of presumably identical files.

Shouldn't we standardize this somehow?