Re: URGENT: SCSI problems

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr> writes:

> On Thursday 30 July 1998, at 23 h 11, the keyboard of Jason Gunthorpe
> <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:
>
> > experianced a scsi write timeout. I'm concerned this may be due to a
> > driver bug. Last time I tried upgrading the kernel the scsi driver blew up
> > horribly and we can't afford to repeat that now.
>
> The Adaptec driver on Linux is broken and has always been. I *strongly* suggest to never use an Adaptec card on a Linux machine.

I have been running Linux for over four years now, 2.5 years with a Adaptec 2940,
using the AIC7xxx driver.

I have tested a mutitude of kernels, I have _NEVER_ had any problem, it have
been _ROCK SOLID_... So your suggestion is, I think a little premature...

 Turbo     __ _     Debian GNU     Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just
 ^^^^^    / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __  selective about who its friends are
         / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /          papadoc.nocrew.org
  _ /// / /__| | | | | |_| |>  <  Turbo Fredriksson    turbo@tripnet.se
  \\\/  \____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\ PGP#788CD1A9   www5.tripnet.se/~turbo
------- PGP:  B7 92 93 0E 06 94 D6 22  98 1F 0B 5B FE 33 A1 0B ---------

--
$400 million in gold bullion ammunition Peking Qaddafi Kennedy
terrorist spy KGB kibo DES NORAD Khaddafi cryptographic Ft. Bragg