Re: Intent to move mysql-base and mysql-dev to main

On Fri, Jul 31, 1998 at 10:35:15PM +0200, David Frey wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 1998 23:15:07 +1000 Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> ed
> > >
> > > Because the source must be distributable as well as the binary.
> >
> > Hmmm... it is, we are distributing it for non-free.
> Which makes the whole thing non-free (from the policy manual):
>
> In addition, the packages in "main"
>
> must not require a package outside of "main" for compilation or
> execution (thus, the package may not declare a "Depends" or
> "Recommends" relationship on a non-main package),

But that is for binary packages. My suggestion was that a pristine
copy of the source would exist in main to build the free components,
and another pristine copy of the source would exist in non-free to build
the non-free components. I think this makes the upstream source handling
much cleaner, and I'm not convinced that is breaches any policies/licenses.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt       Mobile: +61 412 011 176       hamish@rising.com.au

Rising Software Australia Pty. Ltd.
Developers of music education software including Auralia & Musition.
31 Elmhurst Road, Blackburn, Victoria Australia, 3130
Phone: +61 3 9894 4788  Fax: +61 3 9894 3362  USA Toll Free: 1-888-667-7839
Internet: http://www.rising.com.au/