Re: what options do we have was Re: POSIX shell\; bash ash pdksh \& /bin/sh

On Fri, Jul 31, 1998 at 02:33:14PM -0400, Clint Adams wrote:
> > 	Oh, wonderful. Yes, it is broken. But just like all the
> >  popular browsers out there, we should try and accept broken scripts
>
> If you mean the interpretation of bad HTML, I must disagree strongly.
> Web browsers should be completely intolerant of non-compliance.

Ha! Although this is not covered by the standard (in form of a "must"
statement), there are recommendations in the HTML 4.0 standard, see below.

Remember Manoj's voice: Be strict in what you output, but not so strict
about the things you accept.

Marcus

B.1 Notes on invalid documents

   This specification does not define how conforming user agents handlegeneral error
   conditions, including how user agents behave when they encounter elements, attributes,
   attribute values, or entities not specified in this document.

   However, to facilitate experimentation and interoperability between implementations of
   various versions of HTML, we recommend the following behavior:
     * If a user agent encounters an element it does not recognize, it should try to render
       the element's content.
     * If a user agent encounters an attribute it does not recognize, it should ignore the
       entire attribute specification (i.e., the attribute and its value).
     * If a user agent encounters an attribute value it doesn't recognize, it should use the
       default attribute value.
     * If it encounters an undeclared entity, the entity should be treated as character data.

   We also recommend that user agents provide support for notifying the user of such errors.

   Since user agents may vary in how they handle error conditions, authors and users must not
   rely on specific error recovery behavior.