Re: Is this expected ssh behavior?

In article <[🔎] 87k94vav3y.fsf@nevermore.csres.utexas.edu>,
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
>So it looks like ssh on a Debian system's running bash with something
>like "--noprofile", and the -i doesn't get /etc/profile, just your ~
>scripts.  If that's what's happening, is that what we want?

Well for a non-interactive shell you really never ever want to run
/etc/profile or ~/.bash_profile. That is for interactive shells only.
On some of our systems, /etc/profile asks for your terminal type
for example. And indeed, if bash is _not_ a login shell it will not
source those scripts. Don't change that.

An non-interactive bash will also _not_ source ~/.bashrc. However,
from bash(1);

       Bash  attempts  to  determine  when it is being run by the
       remote shell daemon, usually rshd.  If bash determines  it
       is  being run by rshd, it reads and executes commands from
       ~/.bashrc, if that file exists and is readable.   It  will
       not  do  this  if invoked as sh.  The --norc option may be
       used to inhibit this behavior, and the --rcfile option may
       be  used  to  force another file to be read, but rshd does
       not generally invoke the shell with those options or allow
       them to be specified.

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg | Our vision is to speed up time,
    miquels@cistron.nl  |   eventually eliminating it.     <*>