Re: POSIX shell; bash ash pdksh & /bin/sh

> Regardless, I plan to update the bash package to the latest upstream
> this weekend, and I will make /bin/sh an alternative.  I recommend
> that the other POSIX shells in Debian also offer alternatives but at
> LOWER alternatives than bash.  The default /bin/sh on Debian will be
> bash, but the sysadmin can thus change it if he wishes.  Does anybody
> have any objections to this?

This is good decision.

I agree with position of Manoj saying that system should be shipped with
/bin/sh being "relaxed". But our goal is that this "relaxation" would not be
required. This looks very similar to the presence of "--force-overwrite" being
default in dpkg and I would suggest doing exaqctly what we did with
"--force-overwrite" - namely:

Implement alterantives mechanism for /bin/sh for all shells trying to be
POSIX compliant, make ash required package, and put it's priority to be higher
then that of bash. This way developers would have an incentive to find out
our weak spots during the period between releases but change the priority
back to what Guy proposed just before the release.

Thanks.

Alex Y.
--
   _