Re: POSIX shell; bash ash pdksh & /bin/sh

Hi,
>>"Alex" ==   <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> writes:

 Alex> Implement alterantives mechanism for /bin/sh for all shells
 Alex> trying to be POSIX compliant, make ash required package, and
 Alex> put it's priority to be higher then that of bash. This way
 Alex> developers would have an incentive to find out our weak spots
 Alex> during the period between releases but change the priority back
 Alex> to what Guy proposed just before the release.

	Well, there is a difference between this case and the dpkg
 force overwrite issue: the latter only affected Debian packages, and
 that too only during install/upgrade, and one had a simple
 workaround: fire off a bug, and use dpkg --force.

	Changing sh affects every shell script on the system, and not
 only during installs. It affects third party scripts, it affects
 zillions of scripts that the users may have.

	I would make it possible for peole to change the /bin/sh; I
 would not force them to. However, I do not feel strongly enough about
 it, since I shall set the alternatives as I wish on my machine
 anyway.

	I just want people to think it through before going through
 with this.

	manoj
 I love my random sig generator ;-)
--
 In our haste to deal with the things that are wrong, let us not upset
 the things that are right.