Re: Call for a maintainer with a DVD writer? (Re: Why has bo vanished)

On Thu, Jul 30, 1998 at 02:23:05PM -0400, Will Lowe wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:
>
> > would be nice to also get all the mailing list archives on the disk too.
> > hmmm and an image of the www.debian.org website...
> Well,  DVD is a pretty permanent storage medium.  Things like mailing list
> archives and web pages which change (cf. the news pages) aren't so great
> for permanent storage.  I could see burning a twice-yearly mailing-list
> archives CD,  though.

Well I dunno abou tthat...
I think its nice to take web pages and mailing list archives and
put them on permamnent storage ocasionally...
mailing list archives change only in that they grow in size...the old messages
don't get revised (at least we should hope they don't ;) )

As for web pages...call me weird but...I like to take a snapshot of my own
web pages now and again and I save them all.
I like the idea o fbeing able to look back and see what was going on
and what the pages looked like at some point in the past. Not saying
I ever will look but...nor do I really plan on ever installing linux kernel 0.9
on a system...but I still put it on a CD and saved a copy :)

in a few years what will be the point of having apermanant copy of
bo? or even hamm? They will be too outdated to be really worth installing...
and most systems will have been upgraded.

The only point is just "To have it" and to know if you wanted
to you coul dinstall it and see what was going on then.

hell DVD can hold 17 gig as I remember....why NOT cram allot of crap on it?
at the very least you will have to leave some of it off the NEXT DVD when
you have more usefull data :)
-Steve
--
** Stephen Carpenter ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** sjc@delphi.com **