Re: libgtk-dev bug?

On Wed, Jul 29, 1998 at 12:07:41PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> Paolo Molaro <lupus@lettere.unipd.it> wrote:
> > What is easier than gcc stuff.c -o stuff `gtk-config --cflags --libs`?
> > Look, ma! No autoconf:-)

No, not exactly.

> This means that, if you install something in the middle of a build,
> you won't have a consistent configuration.  That means that you can't
> safely share a machine which is compiling these kinds of programs.

Yes, but if you install new headers and shared libraries on a machine
while compiling, you won't get consistent results either ;-)  But
maybe I don't quite understand what you're saying here...

> Doesn't look like a fatal flaw, though: you can easily cache the
> result from gtk-config.  [Or can you?  I've not mucked around with these

If you use the standard AM_PATH_GTK macro, its output gets cached by the
configure script.  Or at least it seems so, since I have to make distclean
and reconfigure --with-gtk-path=/usr/local if I want to compile against
GTK+ 1.1 (/usr/local/bin/gtk-config) instead of 1.0.4 (/usr/bin/gtk-config)
on my system.

Cheers

--
          David Huggins-Daines - bn711@freenet.carleton.ca
           PGP public key #63A8B719 on public key servers