Re: Archive Restructuring - Package Pool

> On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Philip Hands wrote:
>
> > I think this is a mistake.  We will get this structure from the dists in which
> > a package is included, so why not take advantage of the fact that we have two
> > layouts, and arrange them differently.
>
> > /pub/debian/package-pool/main/
> > 	c/r/uft/       [or some other approach to keep directories small]
> > 		cruft_0.9.6.tar.gz
>
> I really like this idea, it makes alot of sense :>
>
> The only bad thing about this proposal is that mirrors are now forced to
> mirror all 3.72Gb of binary debian, you can't just mirror unstable anymore
> :<

No, we just need a few ``smart'' master servers that can pretend to have
distributions populated with files when they are in fact just symlinks.

Depending upon the disk layout, this can be acheived with hard links or using
a server that hides sym-links when they point outside the area being mirrored.

People that want a partial mirror can then just pick up the mirror from a
different subdirectory (or some such) on one of the servers that support this.

Cheers, Phil.