Re: SUMMARY: pentium optimized debian discussion

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Joey Hess wrote:
>
> > I'd suggest, if anyone can find a noticible speed increase on a pentium
> > clone, we bypass the whole problem and call it 586. It may be worthwhile to
> > call it 586 anyhow so we don't have to worry about intel.
>
> I think the main speed gains are less from instruction choice and more
> from more extensive efforts to decouple and pair instructions to keep the
> dual pipelines full. ANY x86 system that uses more than one pipeline (ie
> Cyrix, AMD, PII) will benifit to some degree.

But only if the pipelines are sufficiently similar. But I guess they are.

> I also think that if we are serious about this then we should use pegcs
> and not just egcs where possible..

And make a debian package out of it? Should 'update-alternative' the
compilers from egcc, g++ and gcc? (and oldg++ ?).

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |