Re: SUMMARY: pentium optimized debian discussion

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> I'd suggest, if anyone can find a noticible speed increase on a pentium
> clone, we bypass the whole problem and call it 586. It may be worthwhile to
> call it 586 anyhow so we don't have to worry about intel.

I think the main speed gains are less from instruction choice and more
from more extensive efforts to decouple and pair instructions to keep the
dual pipelines full. ANY x86 system that uses more than one pipeline (ie
Cyrix, AMD, PII) will benifit to some degree.

I also think that if we are serious about this then we should use pegcs
and not just egcs where possible..