Re: package configuration design

Hi,
>>"Wichert" == Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@wiggy.ml.org> writes:

 Wichert> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
 Wichert> Previously Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> Actuall, maybe we should reconsider even that. The ast time I
 >> updated apt, 2200+ packages were updated. Having them in a flat
 >> folder is not likely to help browsing (heck, even a simple ls in
 >> /usr/doc takes perceptible time).

 Wichert> [pc135a;/usr/doc]-8> time ls > /dev/null
 Wichert> 0.000u 0.010s 0:00.01 100.0%    0+0k 0+0io 93pf+0w

 Wichert> (Okay, maybe not everyone has a pII on his desk. It'll probably be
 Wichert> slower on my homesystem too)

	You started it ;-)
__> time ls -asCF /usr/doc
real    0m16.590s
user    0m0.160s
sys     0m0.760s

	16 seconds is perceptible time.

 >> I think that flat databases are not really scalable.

 Wichert> This database is getting more and more complicated, although
 Wichert> it should not be that hard to make a good fast
 Wichert> implementation. We're bound to have some database-experts
 Wichert> amongst us.

	People like to browse through directory structures. File
 systems. Web paages. But suddenly present them with a node with
 several thousand brnaches, and you have lost them.

	As I said, we should design for tomorrow. Not to the
 constrains of yesterdays technology ;-). I think that adding
 logical structure to the list of packages is desirable.

	manoj

--
 Everybody's gotta be someplace.  -- Myron Cohen