Re: package configuration design

Previously Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	Actuall, maybe we should reconsider even that. The ast time I
>  updated apt, 2200+ packages were updated. Having them in a flat
>  folder is not likely to help browsing (heck, even a simple ls in
>  /usr/doc takes perceptible time).

[pc135a;/usr/doc]-8> time ls > /dev/null
0.000u 0.010s 0:00.01 100.0%    0+0k 0+0io 93pf+0w

(Okay, maybe not everyone has a pII on his desk. It'll probably be
slower on my homesystem too)

> 	I would much rather we assigned more structure to the set of
>  packages, and allow for a greater facility for grouping packages and
>  scoping common variables

We could probably combine this with an effort to make looking for
packages easier.

>  (all MUA's and News readers can then have a
>  mail-from variable in common, all news readers would share an NNTP
>  server address; but a news reader could have an over ride: so all but
>  one news readers read from the local spool, and one has an fast
>  minimalist off-site ews reader).

I was thinking of adding a search order to implement that. So newsreaders
could have a searchpath of "/news-reader:/strn"

> 	To the point that this makes packages harder to find, I say
>  that a simple index (<package name>: Location set of lines in an
>  index file) would in fact be faster; we can invest in DB based index
>  files files if speed were an issue.

Maybe add an item to the control-file which says where the package stores
it's information?

> 	I think that flat databases are not really scalable.

This database is getting more and more complicated, although it should
not be that hard to make a good fast implementation. We're bound to
have some database-experts amongst us.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@wi.LeidenUniv.nl