Re: SUMMARY: pentium optimized debian discussion

Matthias Klose wrote:
> Joey Hess writes:
> >   other
> >   - egcc does use pentium ("-mpentium") to identify this optimization, not
> >     "-m586".
>
> 	-mpentium for egcs is deprecated; there are two new options
> 	-mcpu=pentium and -march=pentium

Yes, I know, pentium-builder uses them. Anyhow, they still use "pentium",
which was my point.

> 	What about increasing the optimization level from O2 to O3?
> 	inlining and loop unrolling makes the code faster, but larger.

According to the man page, -O3 just enables -finline-functions, I don't see
any mention of loop unrolling. Anyhow, I know that higher -O optimization
levels have been known to cause problems. And policy says:

     It is up to the package maintainer to decide what compilation options
     are best for the package. Certain binaries (such as
     computationally-intensive programs) may function better with certain
     flags (-O3', for example); feel free to use them. Please use good
     judgment here. Don't use flags for the sake of it; only use them if
     there is good reason to do so.

--
see shy jo