Re: Another possible slink goal (multipackages users profile)

On 27 Jul 1998, Guy Maor wrote:

> Martin Schulze <joey@kuolema.Infodrom.North.DE> writes:
>
> >    Therefore I believe that we should elaborate a mechanism that can be
> >    used for all shells. This could be /etc/profile.d/ containing scripts
> >    or fragments. It could alternatively contain some data that will be
> >    evaluated and changed into code that can be read by the used shell.
>
> I completely disagree with this proposal.  Packages should be
> configured so that they run correctly without any environment
> variables or other cruft set.

Actually, I agree with this point.  Environment variables are evil.  Like
'http_proxy' (Jason ;-).

> Adding programs to be run automatically is an even worse idea.  On a
> single-person system, the user knows what software is installed
> because he installed it.  And a user on a multi-user system certainly
> doesn't want random programs run on login because the administrator
> thinks they're neat.

Well... actually it's the admin's right to do so.  Particularly if his
motives are security, for example.

However, I would ask the proponents of this plan to back off one step from
implementation, and give the list some examples of the kind of problem it
is designed to solve.

Jules