Re: RH and GNOME

On Mon, Jul 27, 1998 at 07:17:57PM +0000, Joseph Carter wrote:
> Now all we need is someone with skill and reason to do the same for X!
> That's IMO the last big place we need to have easier install---and that
> should be IMO text based (slang) and be somewhat reminiscent of the wfw
> setup program.

Just a shot in the dark here - what about modif^H^H^H^H^Hfixing RedHat's
Xconfigurator?  It's pretty horrible right now, but it's a step in the
right direction.  (Same goes for the Sound Configurator)

I haven't looked at the code for it, though, so this is just hot air.
But I have some definite ideas about how it *should* work (and doesn't)

> xf86config is evil to expect a newbie to follow.  It makes make config on a
> linux kernel easy by comparison.  If you screw something up with it, you

Indeed - plus, it doesn't have a clue when it comes to generating config
files on many laptops (like mine... even though the correct values are all
stated plainly in /etc/X11/doc/X11/README.WstDig).

Cheers

--
          David Huggins-Daines - bn711@freenet.carleton.ca
           PGP public key #63A8B719 on public key servers