Re: RH and GNOME

Enrique Zanardi on Mon, Jul 27, 1998 at 01:25:26PM +0100:
> >                 One thing nice about RPM is the fact that it doesn't use
> > .orig and just single patches...there is individual patches for each
> > fix, you can just take a look at .spec, see what it's for, and apply
> > those you want to.  dpkg source builds are one-shot patch to upstreams.
>
> That has changed in dpkg 1.4.1.x series. (Yes, we have a category-killer
> piece of software there. It's a pitty few people know about it yet).

Oh really, fascinating.  There is then absolutely no advantage rpm has
over dpkg, save for the arch business raised earlier.  Actually, one
could say that the CLI semantics of rpm are easier to grasp, but who
cares, it's not as capable or flexible.

> > Without concerted effort and a changing of the whole project's goals, an
> > individual's contibutions will just be pissing in the wind...
>
> I fail to see which project goal should be changed.
> [...]
> And about concerted efforts, Debian is all about it. Explain the problem,
> backing it with facts, let the other developers know about it, and you'll
> soon find a lot of helping hands.

No no, I agree with you :)

--
Scott