Re: "goals" for slink: FHS

On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 12:36:37AM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> A other goal for the future:
> all man-programs use MANPATH and /etc/manpath.config
> all info-programs use INFOPATH
>
> with a little patch, this should no problem.

I believe the correct way of doing this would be to build a small
library for handling generic path-searching.  This lib is then used by
*all* man page browsers and info readers.  Possibly other classes of
software will find the library beneficial, too.

The library would have a config file and it would naturally react to
MANPATH, INFOPATH and other such environment variables.
Functionality-wise this is very close to the kpathsea library included
with teTeX.  In fact, kpathsea could possibly be modified to implement
this.

Advantages of this approach:
 * A simple library that a developer can use to bring in complex path
   searching
 * A single config file for man, info and possibly other things too
   makes future transitions like this one easier
    - and it's easier for the sysadmin too

I don't think this is a hard one to implement.  Comments?

        Antti-Juhani
--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <gaia@iki.fi> ** <URL:http://www.iki.fi/gaia/> **

         I can't seem to find a lowercase 'r' on my keyboard.
        (Lee Davies in comp.unix.programmer on July 22, 1998)