Re: Off-topic: Star Office "Virtual memory exceeded in `new'"

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> "Dr. Michael Meskes" <meskes@online-club.de> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 13, 1998 at 08:09:30AM +0200, Scott Hanson wrote:
> > > Hamm system, Star Office 4 SP3 (Chip CD). Calling soffice gives the
> > > error "Virtual memory exceeded in `new'" and stops, even though I have
> > > 128 MB RAM/64 MB swap. Any clues?
> >
> > No. It works nicely on my 64/64 notebook.
>
> FWIW, I have the same failure here.  I'm running an up to date mirror
> of unstable (as of yesterday).  (I need to use it to get some old
> files in a proprietary format into something more reasonable.)

At least one other person on the Star Division support newsgroup had
the same problem. I've worked around it by copying some old libc5
libraries (libc.so.5.4.33 and libm.so.5.0.9, with the respective sym
links) in my Office40/libs directory. Found them in some old Slackware
archive... ;)

Scott

--
Scott Hanson <shanson@shcon.com>  <shanson@debian.org>