Re: Chosing release goals for slink

Hi everybody,

    I was I bit busy with my military service lately and maybe
I'll ask some FAQs... I am sorry in advance ;)

On Fri, Jul 10, 1998 at 12:36:53PM +0200, Yann Dirson wrote:

> Maybe some will think it's not yet time to discuss this, but I think
> we need a central repository for ideas of what the release goals for
> slink will be.

I am wrong or we abolished release-goals some time ago? What I mean is:
didn't we decide to release the stable part of the distribution every 4
months without trying to reach some (by definition) unreachable goal?

I think a list of Debian-goals is a Good Thing (TM) anyway, even if
the goals are not release-critical.

> The following list is only built from what I remember to have read at
> some point, so it will need surely some additions.  I also add some
> items which have surely not been discussed in length, but will
> certainly need to before selecting them or not.  Let's hope it can
> serve as a base to select which ones we'll implement.
>
> * FHS compliance

How much of the FHS do we want to implement?

> * PAM support

PAM is now stable, right?

> * docbase support
>
> * No binary-section manpages (mainly 1, 6, 8) in `manpages' and
> `manpages-<LANG>' packages, but in their relevant binary packages.

My small HD would appreciate the two above... even if the gain
in space is small (you know, laptops 2.5 disks cost a *lot* of money)

> * DTM support (Definitive Type Manager, formerly Debian Type Manager)
> - Federico: do you think it's feasible ?

That's me. Yes I think is feasible. I am slowly working toward integrating
the tex macros fontinst and DTM to make ps fonts available to tex/latex.
I am also writing a gui in perlgtk. I will release something i a couple
of weeks and I will be glad if the maintainers of packages that use/install
fonts can have a look at the stuff.

> * Others ?
>
> --
> Yann Dirson    <ydirson@mygale.org> | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
> isp-email:   <ydirson@a2points.com> |     support Debian GNU/Linux:
> debian-email:   <dirson@debian.org> |         more powerful, more stable !
> http://www.mygale.org/~ydirson/     | Check <http://www.debian.org/>

* Federico DI Gregorio ** GCS/S/>L d- s:>:+ a26 C++ UL++ P+++ L*+++>$ D *
*   <fog@debian.org>   ** W+>++ N+ o? !K w--->!$ O M- V-- PS+(+++) PE(--)
*   Debian Developer   ** Y+(-)(+)(-)... PGP+ s+ 5- X+++ R*<+(+++) b+++ *