Re: PROPOSAL: simple masquerading and filtering firewall setup

At 06:15 AM 7/27/98 , Raul Miller wrote:
>Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
>> 	Therefore I came up with this proposal, which I think allows
>>  for all that. I would appreciate it if this were incorporated in the
>>  package.
>
>The only thing I object to is that there's no easy way to tell the
>script you want ip forwarding off [I think there should be some kind of
>abstraction for stuff to be set in /proc]. Of course, you could just not
>install the ipmasq package, but then you lose this infrastructure.
>
>So maybe this whole infrastructure could be put into netbase (and the
>config directory renamed /etc/ipfilter/ or some such), and ipmasq
>would then just provide .def files?

First off, as maintainer of the ipmasq package, I'd like to thank those who
have offered suggestions and enocouragment.  Especially Manoj with his
proposal.  I'm planning on implementing something very much along those
lines in 3.1.  I never would have come up with something like that (I learn
something new about scripting everytime I try something new with this
package.)

I was under the impression that netbase was in the process of being broken
up.  I could modify the ipmasq source package so as to build another
package (ipfilter) which contained the infrastructure and documentation,
while leaving the ipmasq package to set up the current arrangement.  Would
section base priority important be unreasonable for ipfilter?

Comments?  Suggestions?

Brian