Re: GnuCash: GPL vs. Qt

On 26 Jul 1998, Jim Pick wrote:

[Qt/GPL thing, again! :-)]

> I think I'll just use GPL.
>
> If Debian wants to use a stupid interpretation of the GPL, then Debian
> can do that, and I'll distribute the Qt binary package myself.
>
> Maybe Debian should just get of the contrib/non-free business entirely.

I'm probably going to regret replying to this messgae again - the
flameware has gone on too long :-)

However, I object to the phrase 'stupid interpretation of the GPL'.  There
is nothing stupid about Debian's interpretation (would some of you rather
that was personal?   OK, Raul's and my interpretation..) of the GPL.  It
is correct.  Unambiguously so, IMO.

The GPL is in place (among other things) to guarantee that I am free to
create derivative works of a software, correcting bugs, or heading off in
a whole new direction.  Since KDE requires Qt to run, and Qt will not
allow me to make such modifications, and distribute (potentially for
profit..) such modifications in both source and binary form, I *do not*
have this freedom.

I'm not going to argue about whether or not that is  important to you.
But it *is* guaranteed by the GPL - so to bundle up something which does
not have that freedom, and label it as 'GPL' is plain wrong.  I'm not
talking about illegal - I see that as less important.  It's wrong.  It's
using the GPL for something that it's not intended for.

So, use the LGPL.  Use the artistic license.  Use the GPL with a clear
exemption clause.  All of these things would happily put KDE in contrib.

Alternatively, use some kind of 'widget abstraction layer' so that your
products will build also with a free alternative - for example, Gtk or
harmony.  Of ocurse, if harmony becomes truly succesful, and is fully
Qt-compatibile, there will be no need for an abstraction layer.

Remember, the GPL is about freedom.  Freedom to learn from, freedom to
modify, freedom to sell (as long as the right to distribute, including
source, is also sold...).  If the GPL is not right for you, there are
plenty of other DFSG-complaint licenses.

Jules