Re: package formats (was Re: RH and GNOME)

On Sat, Jul 25, 1998 at 11:02:32AM +0100, John Lines wrote:
> > Now my next crushing blow:  rpm is not up to the task of LSB.  However, dpkg
> > isn't either.  dpkg could be extended easily to handle the changes and the
> > =2Edeb files are able to expand to meet the changes without ANY changes to
> > structure.  But then, so could a standard gnu cpio next version of .rpm
> > file.
> >
> > If LSB gets a package format, dammit it better be a good one.
>
> I am not convinced that packaging software is sufficiently well understood
> yet to be properly standardised anyway. To be truly useful a package format
> needs to specify not just dependencies on other packages and where software
> is to be installed, but things like how daemons should be initialised,
> menu items added etc.

You mean /etc/init.d/* and update-menus?  Granted I think the init.d stuff
should NOT be written to /etc/init.d/ directly but use something like
update-initd and something similar to make the runlevel symlinks.  It
doesn't matter where a dist puts things if all it doesn't put them anywhere
directly.

> Having said that I think that it would be great to identify which bits are
> well defined, but the format should be designed in the knowledge that new
> things (standard icon for the package ? etc) may be added later.

You are aware of how Debian organizes its packages?  Why you'd want an icon
in the package I don't know, but there's room for one.