Re: Mirror List

*-Jason Gunthorpe (24 Jul)

| I would like to update my mirror list to something more machine friendly.
| The orginal version some of you know was designed as an example for APT.

I think this is much more human readable as well.

| My new concept follows along the idea of a package file and attempts to
| encode alot of information to allow the user to make the best selection.

[snip]

| Site: ftp1.us.debian.org
| Type: Push-Primary
| Archive-http: /debian/
| Archive-ftp: /debian/
| WWW-http: /
| Maintainer: Johnie Ingram <johnie@debian.org>
| Location: Michigan USA
| Upstream: T1 1.5Mbit mich.net
|
| Site: www.uk.debian.org
| Type: Push-Primary
| Archive-http: /debian/
| Archive-ftp: /debian/
| Archive-rsync: debian/
| WWW-http: /
| WWW-rsync: debian-web/
| Maintainer: Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>
| Location: UK
| Upstream: ? ? netcom.net.uk

I think it would be cool if this mirror 'package' file could be used by
apt or whatever to present the user with a menu config like the kernel
menuconfig to select the sites and contents for each site that they
wanted to use(hamm/main hamm/unstable non-us, etc).  Also I think
a timezone field in UTC reference could be used. That way the config
program could present the selections based on proximity to the users
site.  This list then could be updated when the user updates the package
list. This 'package' file could then replace the sources.list file if
the users wasn't going to use any file URI's.  If the user wanted to use
any file URI's then they could have a sources.list file with the
appropriate fields.  The Description field you mentioned could be used
to give the user 'more info' about the site, like the 'help' on the
kernel menuconfig.

Just some thoughts,
--
Brian